Saturday 7 June 2008

Nikon v’s Canon, who’s the Daddy?

Regular readers of this Blog site will know from my earlier postings that my preferred choice of camera for Infra-red has been the Nikon D50. For all my other work, landscapes, portraits and weddings, I use Canon gear. Changing camera systems from one to another wasn’t a viable option when I was looking for camera to record Infra-red; I chose the best camera for the job, at a price I could afford. I think I made the right choice.

However, there comes a time when carrying around two systems takes its toll! Unfortunately, old age comes to us all sooner or later. I had three options, give up infra-red photography, switch from Canon to Nikon or find a suitable Canon (infra-red) replacement.

Well! Giving up Infra-red photography was out of the question, so too was changing systems. I had no alternative but to find a suitable Canon replacement. I remember the original Canon D30 being reasonably sensitive to Infra-red, having owned one when they were first launched back in 2002/3. However, I sold my original one to help finance it’s replacement, the Canon D60, which incidentally is not Infra-red sensitive at all.

With my ear to the ground I managed to find, boxed and in mint condition, a 3.2mp Canon D30, ripe for converting, problem was, did I really won’t to spend £200 ($400) on converting it? Mmmmm.. With this in mind I dug out my old Hoya R72 and gave it a try using a 28-80mm USM Lens set at f8/ISO100. I think the results pretty much speak for themselves.

Use the Infra-red Archive to discover more about the world of Infra-red Photography

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the excellent blog! Lot's of great info here!
Anyone know of issues with the Canon Rebel XSI and infrared photography? So far I'm stumped! I have not been able to shoot anything. I am using the xsi with a Rocolax R85 filter. Thanks in advance if you have a solution!